Cornerstone Academy’s founding team visited over 20 high performing, urban charter schools around the country with one question in mind: What are the most important factors driving student achievement?
After learning from the best schools for over a year, the Cornerstone Academy team put together a comprehensive educational program heavily focused on literacy, math, and character development. It is our goal to provide every child with a strong, foundational education that places them firmly on the path to college.
We offer our students and families:
- A culture of high expectations and no excuses. We believe every child can and will go to college so we maintain the highest standards for academic performance and behavior.
- Standards-based, high quality classroom instruction. Our teachers use the Common Core Standards to drive their instruction and receive frequent support and feedback to improve their teaching practice.
- Strong emphasis on assessment and accountability. Students are frequently assessed, both formally and informally, so that teachers can identify and target skill gaps quickly.
- More time to learn. Our school day begins at 7:45AM and ends at 4:00PM, providing more time for our students to master grade level benchmarks.
- School values. Through our PRIDE values (Personal responsibility, Respect, Integrity, Determination, and Excellence), our students will develop the strong character they need to be successful in school and in life, and to overcome any obstacles they will face.
- Access to Technology. All Cornerstone scholars have access to Chromebooks in their classrooms and use these tools to further their learning.
- A partnership with parents. Parents are an integral part of our students’ success. We welcome parent volunteers and parent participation in our Cornerstone Parents’ Association.